14.11.15

The real fear of Friday the 13th: Paris

What I am about to write may not be of direct relevance to London, but PM Cameron and Hollande fear it soon might be. 

By no means am I aiming to make this post about some heavy political/religious debate, I just need to share a few things regarding the atrocities that occurred last night in Paris. For the second time this year, Paris has faced unprecedented terrorist attacks from the Islamic State as a response to Hollande's involvement in Syria. Although the number of dead is wavering between 120-150, the terror evoked by this attack yet again has seen social media upside down for the past 12 hours. Due to this, I feel like --perhaps more than ever-- the whole world has become involved, and this time not out of political bargaining, or coercion, but out of acknowledgment. I fear to admit it, but we are at war. Every country at least within the UN has shown movements in solidarity with Paris; notably NYC and London with their landmarks coloured in blue, white and red. 

The National History Museum last night 
 Now I was never superstitious: black cats, ladders, the number 13... especially since my best friend's lucky number is 13. However, it is coincidental that on Friday the 13th -- being a huge Horror movie fan I know it's Jason Vorhees' preferred day for man slaughter-- a real life slaughter occurred, generating an unprecedented universal fear. I don't know whether it's a mere coincidence, but it is something that will go down in the history books along side the 2004 terrorist attack on Madrid, and of course 9/11. 
To me... the fact that so many innocent and oblivious lives had to end for a war waged between hateful ideology,extremism and essentially the spurious claim of protecting one's "religion" is something I will never grasp. 
Be it Palestine and Israel, or indeed the most predominant terrorising entity: ISIS... it all  boils down to one thing I believe: man's unwavering greed and lack of compassion. It is thus, despite the horrors of last night, somewhat reassuring that the whole world is united against cowering in the face of terrorism. We may have lost (too) many, but we are united. We are compassionate. But is it too late?

NOTE: religion is not the cause. It preaches peace and stability; all religions do. This is humanity....fundamentalists....contorted versions of what they choose to believe, instead of what they really should believe.


On that note, London too has been 'warned' and been advised to take extra precautions and safety measures. Having both friends in Paris and in London -- which seem to be the prioritised targets-- it is a horrifying idea that some of them could have (or could be) affected by these attacks. Vigilance and attentiveness when in touristic locations (so landmarks etc...) and near large crowds is the only potential defence we as civilians can have. Unless you feel like locking yourself up with your own Kalashnikov for the rest of the year... that's all the advice I have.

Pray for Paris -- spiritually or physically-- and be safe. 

(I feel really bad for saying this but.... "May the odds be ever in your favour"-- just to lighten the mood a little bit haha).

xx,oo 
Kiek 



No comments:

Post a Comment